Practice Catch and Release – help protect our valuable stocks
Anglers are aware of the need to practice catch and release in order to protect our valuable fish stocks for future generations.
All SRT beats are catch and release only. These are wild fish and at present it is essential that all fish caught are returned on these rivers to maintain and improve these native fish.
The following are a few useful tips for those practicing catch and release on Passport beats:
- Use barbless hooks at all times (or flatten the barb).
- Minimise the time spent playing a hooked fish.
- Wet your hands before touching the fish.
- Carry forceps to remove hooks.
- Release the fish as quickly as possible and do not remove it from the water if at all possible.
- Support the fish in the water until it is sufficiently recovered.